Printed from: Your Diabetic Cat
Topic URL: http://www.yourdiabeticcat.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7498
Printed on: 12/19/2014

Topic:

Topic author: angelsmommy
Subject: cat throwing up a lot
Posted on: 10/09/2008 08:49:55 AM
Hi,
My cat was diabetic for 2 years. I followed the protocol for 8 months and my cat is off the juice now. Thanks for all your help in the past. The problem that we're having with her is that she keeps throwing up. It's not a lot each time. It looks like gravy and it's been staining our carpet. Does anyone know why this might be happening to her?
Thanks

Replies:

Reply author: BusyB
Replied on: 10/09/2008 08:51:49 AM
Is your cat being fed dry food now? In my experience, with my cats, the very day I removed the dry food, the ritual barfing after every meal stopped immediately.

Reply author: pleimanlb
Replied on: 10/09/2008 09:30:06 AM
Hi Agnes, With the dry food recall, most recently the melamine scare, there could very well be something in her food that is causing this. An allergy perhaps to the grain in the dry or wheat gluten?

My Kitty never had allergies until about 5yrs ago (she's 13 now), they can creep up at anytime. I would really try a wet diet with no fish added. They say it takes about 6weeks to see a difference tho if it is a food allergy, so you would have to be patient. But her vomiting should stop in short order.

Reply author: angelsmommy
Replied on: 10/09/2008 09:40:48 AM
Hi,
I have not switched her diet. She is still eating Fancy Feast.

Reply author: lennys mom
Replied on: 10/09/2008 09:46:24 AM
Lenny will throw up if I feed him any beef can food. It was brown also. Are you feeding Beef? I did not know it until someone here told me that it is common for kitties to have allergy to beef.

Reply author: MeowMeow
Replied on: 10/09/2008 10:04:42 AM
quote:
Originally posted by angelsmommy

Hi,
My cat was diabetic for 2 years. I followed the protocol for 8 months and my cat is off the juice now. Thanks for all your help in the past. The problem that we're having with her is that she keeps throwing up. It's not a lot each time. It looks like gravy and it's been staining our carpet. Does anyone know why this might be happening to her?
Thanks

I know you're going to get great advice from those more experienced than I am but for the STAINS, try SPOTSHOT. It is the best I have ever used. You can buy it in large cans at WalMart for under $3 each. Just spray the spot, let it sit (i cover mine with a cloth or my cats like to "bury it") for a few hours, then vacuum up. Please be sure to "clean the spot" first with a cloth to remove any pieces or residue BEFORE the "spot shot"

Replied on: 10/09/2008 10:12:09 AM
She threw up a long time ago and I believe that was because of beef. I haven't given her any beef since then. It's been over 6 months since that happened.

Replied on: 10/09/2008 10:27:46 AM
I've had to eliminate fish also. Some of the FF flavors have hidden fish in the ingreds. Turkey and Giblets, and chopped grill are two that have no fish.

I've also read recently that FF may have changed some of their ingreds. Have you tried any other brands of wet food? I think too that you can try Pepcid AC to see if that might soothe her stomach. I'm not sure of the dose tho. Is it 1/4 tab and give some water with it? Try doing a search. It's discussed a lot here.

Reply author: Grrraymoo
Replied on: 10/09/2008 10:39:49 AM
When does she throw up- right after she eats, or some time later?

Replied on: 10/09/2008 10:42:18 AM
Agnes, I just looked at your test log and saw that she's lost a lot of weight. Was she overweight? If not, maybe she needs some lab work to see if there's a problem somewhere.

ETA: Spot Shot does work great BTW!

Reply author: lennys mom
Replied on: 10/09/2008 10:42:36 AM
Lenny can only eat the FF gourmet chicken and chopped grill for some reason. If I give him anything else he will get sick. You may want to look at the diet becuase it very well be an allergy this coudl save your carpets. I know all about it. We have almost white carpet and never failed that is the carpet he would get. I got somethign from Walmart that worked great.

Replied on: 10/09/2008 10:56:49 AM
Hi,
Angel was overweight last year. She weighed 20.5 lbs. I started the protocol in July 2007. I watched her glucose levels closely and I changed her diet to FF (got rid off the dry diabetic food the vet told me to feed her). She lost 6 lbs in 14 months. She's more active.

She usually throws up some time after she eats, not really right after she eats. For example, she ate after midnight last night and threw up around 7 this morning.

Question...is it okay for her to be on a very limited diet? If I take all the fish out of her diet, I won't have too many options. I tried looking at other wet food. I look at the ingredients and I see wheat gluten right away so I move on.

I will have to pick up SpotShot. My husband is tired of getting the carpet cleaner out after she throws up.

Thanks

Reply author: Leslie
Replied on: 10/09/2008 11:14:15 AM
Question...is it okay for her to be on a very limited diet?

Absolutely. If she is limited to 1-2 flavors of FF that don't upset her tummy, that's fine. Not all cats want or need a variety. Mine have eaten only raw chicken for the last 15 month. (Dr. Lisa's recipe) They love it and I see no reason to give more variety. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Reply author: CatGirl
Replied on: 10/09/2008 11:35:19 AM
Well remember also that FF is GMO so starting to feed your kitty some fresh food may well help. No one knows the long term effects of feeding GMO products to humans or pets.

Cat grass can help in terms of the hairballs, but if the cat is throwing up its whole meal I would also suspect the food itself. Also for vomiting ipec (homeopathic remedy).

Replied on: 10/09/2008 2:07:29 PM
I will not feed her any fish for a while. I hope that helps.

Reply author: Jean and Simon
Replied on: 10/09/2008 5:32:29 PM
Hi Angel,

You might try adding some probiotics to her food. I have one cat my civvie who throws up a lot if she doesn't get probiotics regularly. She used to throw up 3-4 times a week and it is maybe once a month or so now. I use the Jarro-Dophilus Brand and put about a 1/5 of a capsule in each kitties food daily.

Hope this helps,
Jean

Reply author: stephanie j hatfield
Replied on: 10/09/2008 10:57:25 PM
Hi Agnes, you might also try giving her 1/4 of a Pepcid AC tab. that should settle her tummy. you can give it 2xday. if you can't pill her directly (followed by a little water of course), give it to her in a pill pocket, or half a pill pocket as they're pretty high in carbs.........S

Reply author: MeowMeow
Replied on: 10/10/2008 12:29:17 AM
SPOT SHOT is the bomb! Huge cans at Walmart for less than $3/each. Good stuff

Your Diabetic Cat : http://www.yourdiabeticcat.com/forums/

© 2000-14 Snitz Communications

Close Window